Co-Chairs: Lori Wise (CO) & Yolanda Nez (NM)
The Consumer Advocacy Workgroup examines and advises the MSGRC to ensure consumer focus in all activities. At least one consumer representative represents this workgroup on all other workgroups.
- The Life Rope: Engagement of Diverse Populations for Recruitment and Representation in Genetics
- Genetics Support Groups Directory
- National Genetics Education and Consumer Network (NGECN)
- Advocacy ATLAS- Accessible Tools for Leadership and Advocacy Success
- One of A Kind- article about genetic disorder (NGLY1) from The New Yorker
This white paper explores issues related to recruitment of diverse populations in genetics projects and activities. It is written in the context of the Native American community and, in particular, the people of the Navajo Nation, whom we refer to as “The People.” However, the principles of recruitment outlined will apply to many minority populations and should be considered when trying to engage them. This is not a step-by-step process but, rather, a guide to the issues that professionals should consider. Appreciation for the uniqueness of minority groups will only enhance clinical and public health outcomes.
If you are a new member with the Mountain States Genetics Regional Collaborative, Welcome! We hope you find this Orientation Guide helpful. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions.